Monday, August 3, 2009

Words

Each morning I start my day with a devotional and quiet time with my maker.

For the past few months I have been using Jesus Calling by Sarah Young, which is the best devotional I have ever found. I blogged about the book here.

Today the lesson was on words and how they can easily bless or wound.
As a writer, wife, mother and friend, I am constantly reminded of the power of my words. I have watched them bring a smile and sadly I have also watched them bring pain.

As a Christian, my words have much more power than to bring pain or joy. Our sermon at church yesterday, was about the power of prayer. When I pray, Christ says I am able to open and close doors.

What’s the connection?

Have you ever had someone say something which led the way to great joy? -Words that literally opened the door in your mind to new possibilities.

How about the flip side; have you ever been told something that slammed a door in your face and closed off all possibility of moving forward?

Words, they are powerful.

My mother taught me to be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger. She was handed this advice from the Bible. Proverbs 12:18, James 1:19, and Ephesians 4:29 all give us clear directions on what we say.

It hurts to realize I frequently do the opposite of what I have been taught AND what I strive to teach my own children.

So how do I go forward? How do I change something that seems to be a large part of who I am?

Hello, they are my thoughts!

Only through words- Ironic, I know!

I must be humble and ask Christ to direct my thinking. Pure thoughts bring pure actions. Speaking is an action.

He has promised to help when I ask. By asking Him to help me out, I am opening a door for Him to pour out direction. -Which most likely means MANY more chances to learn how to direct my thoughts and words.

Hope you have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment